Sunday, April 26, 2015

First Fruits

"First Fruits"



Almost a year ago, I started this same blog entitled "First Fruits" after an eye opening experience in Uganda.  For whatever the reason, I shelved it and wasn't sure if it would be revisited.  But on this glorious Sunday, as the birds continue in song and the wind wraps itself every so gently around my being, making its presence known, I felt compelled to complete these lines of inspiration.

Last May, while spending an incredible month with my sister in Uganda, who is doing an awesome work in the field of Public Health in that region of the Pearl of Africa, I experienced life on a more intricate, meaningful level.  Don't get me wrong, my life is very much meaningful and it has multiple levels of intricacies in the states and most everywhere I travel, But it is when you live somewhere for a while you really can grasps bits of its culture, taste the culinary creations, bath in its lakes and feel the pulse of the people and its sun warmed breezes.

Uganda was not much different from other developing countries that I have visited, with the exception of the people. The people are extremely warm, kind, considerate and very industrious.  I've often said that a Ugandan would sell you the very mango that fell from your tree, in the spirit of entrepreneurship.  Many who struggle in Uganda, it is not from the lack of effort!

The young girl who kept the home and prepared most of the meals in my sisters home, was quiet, kind and bit shy.   Her name was Dorothy.  She was often the first to be present for Friday night worship, as she waited for us all to fall in.  Let me tell you, there were some Friday nights where my bed's invitation seemed a bit more inviting after a full week up and down to Kampala, and trekking across Bugema on foot or a Boda Boda  and meeting with my Congolese and Ghanaian Dream Sewing Team.

Even though Dorothy was young, she taught us quite a bit about devotion and sacrifice.  She would rise early to prepare meals, and sometimes wash clothes to hang out under the African Sun. I vividly recall the day she, along with a friend of my sisters, harvested some peanuts from the yard.  Even my sister was surprised to learn that there were peanuts growing in the vastness of her garden.   The corn was more obvious and could not be missed with their towering stalks.  I would be in violation of the code of ethics if I did not give credit where credit is due.  If I failed to mention the sweetness of the yield from the African soil of Uganda I would be completely remissed . The pineapples were 'magnifik' and tomatoes were the best I've ever tasted in my entire life, and I've had over four decades of sampling ;-).

One Sabbath morning, while at church, they called my sister, Dr. Sylvia Callender to the front to honor her for the gifts she had given to the church.  The call was not an unusual one, but what was unusual was for the gift that she and the family were called forward.  The first yield from her garden was quietly submitted, by the hands of shy, steadfast Dorothy, on our households behalf.  So many emotions and thoughts crossed the intersections of my mind that I could only wonder, why hadn't we had this practice back in the states, Trinidad or Bermuda for that matter. From days of old, the Bible required the first fruit, even from Cain and Able.  And here we are thousands of years later, only to learn that it means more than our monetary gifts, or even our God-given talents. God wants the first fruit of all that we have or do.


So, I am growing tomatoes on my veranda and it yielded 6 tomatoes this week.  Immediately my sister and Dorothy came to mind. I  thought about taking my small, yet humble yield  to church for an offering, but could only imagine the looks and silent questions as to wondering if I had lost my ever loving mind. Instead, I shared them with colleagues and friends. I told myself that in a way, it was living out the principles of sharing my first fruits. Know that I am not opposed to taking my basket of goods to the church for God's glory. Imagine! There would never be any want or lack  if we all practiced that principle.  Give of your best to the Master! Now that's DA Art of Living!

~Simply Lady Dana

April 2015 (c)




No comments:

Post a Comment