Friday, August 29, 2014

Is That Your Son?



Is That Your Son?

Look at that cute face and innocent smile of my seven year old nephew Chase. We call him Chase-man. Perhaps his parents saw that he would be an awesome athlete/runner/running back at an early age, thus the name of endearment: Chase-man. And I should add, he is an awesome athlete and little scholar!

Fourth of July was not that long ago; over a month ago to be more precise.  Well, it was on this hot, Georgia, Summer day in Atlanta, that my family and friends descended upon my cousin Sean's home to celebrate the 4th together.  It was an awesome gathering of sorts, because many had traveled miles and the reunion was unexpected and yet sweet.  Julie Marie, my youngest of the sisters, and her family were in from Virginia. And a host of other loved ones were there too. 

Family gatherings is like a walk down memory lane, with the story telling and laughter that follows the disbelief. I grew up with all sisters and it was the only way of life I knew. So you can imagine, that  when my eldest sister was pregnant, the entire family was hopeful for its FIRST BOY!  To our surprise, it was a SHE. And her second and third child were both girls also.  While we loved on the girls, we would only wonder when would  some testosterone  be added to our growing family, in the form of an offspring.  Well, Julie Marie, would be the one to change the course . Her first child was a boy, their son Khori and the second one another boy,  Chase-man!  We all had cheers of Yays!, as our family had finally turned the corner. 

Ti ti, short for Tia (Auntie), is what the boys called me. But no one could have prepared me for the differences that boys make in your life. They run in circles just to run. Their energy levels are off the chart and their appetites are unbelievable.   Oh, did I mention that I love my nephews. Well, I do, and their hearty appetites and curious minds an all!

Well, back to the 4th of July barbeque at my cousin Sean's home.  The boys were having a great time playing with their cousins and devouring the wings, even before Uncle Sean could get them off the grill good.  Well into their second helping of wings, I suggested they add other elements to their plates: and they did!

As the day began to slip into the early part of the evening, we decided to say our farewells. And my family is very much like the Waltons  when it comes to saying our goodbyes and seeing each other off. We all go the porch or outside and say our farewells, coupled with plenty of hugs and kisses.  While on the porch, my cousin Sean said  to me, "Ok, bye Mama, see you soon!" And to my surprise, little Chase-man, ran up to me, and tapped me gently and looked up with his doe-like eyes as asked the proverbial question "Is that your son?"  I could only wonder who he was referring to, as I sought clarity from his curious mind.  He lifted his arm and pointed to the porch where, as I mentioned, many family members were gathered.  I retorted, who?  You mean Lil Sean (my cousin's son with his name)?  He said, "No, Uncle Sean".  I had to laugh and then wonder how did my seven year old nephew manage to give me a 40+ year old son, when I'm in my 40s myself. When I left home, earlier that day,  I thought I had my A game on for this Summer, 4th celebration. Had my flowing dress and fresh hair style and thought I looked great. Well, apparently I wasn't all of that, as evident by Chase-man's question.

Then, his little precious heart began to explain.  "I heard Uncle Sean call you Mama".  A part of me was ever  so relieved that he wasn't suggesting that I looked like I had aged by decades over night, and had a forty year old son, but merely, he heard him call me Mama.  My heart warmed and I smiled and tried my darnedest to explain. I said, "Oh, Chase-man, he meant it as a term of affection or endearment, like Chase-man." Our family has Native American, African,  Caribbean and Spanish heritage, so it was not unusual for us to use the term Mama, Mami, Ti ti, Poppi and not be referring to someones title or position. I stooped down and let Chase-man know that Uncle Sean was not my son, but my cousin.  He smiled, as I tried to explain it for his developing seven year old mind.  He gazed into my eyes and said "Oh!" as he ran off to get in one final play with his brother, before leaving. 

Listening is a great skill and repeating back what you heard and understood is a skill worth developing. Now, that's DA Art of Living!

The picture above is of Chase-man, and below is of "my son" Sean, ;-)



~Simply Lady Dana
August 2014 (c)


No comments:

Post a Comment