Friday, June 6, 2014

Taxis, Vans & Boda, Boda!






Taxis, Vans & Boda, Boda!

Dr. Seuss had absolutely nothing on  Uganda’s means of transportation.  Let me not be misunderstood, I am appreciator of “Trains, Planes & Automobiles” and have read my share of “Green Eggs & Ham” over the years, but my travel throughout Uganda has been an eye opener.
 Today I traveled to town with my sister on the private University van. It has a level of comfort and familiarity that comes with traveling with some of her same colleagues that we have shared a ride with in recent days.
A common form of transportation is the taxi, which can also be shared with complete strangers, if you don’t mind the company and shared cost.

But the most popular form of transportation is the “Boda, Boda”.  What is a “Boda, Boda”, you may ask?  “Boda, Boda” are motorcycle transportation that stand ready to transport you, and even an additional persons to your destination, usually within a relatively close proximity.  The $4,000 Schillings may sound like a extravagant amount, but it is relative to where you are from and your earning power.  
Driving in Uganda is a unique challenge in itself. Motorist speed over dead policeman (speed bumps) and roll through stop signs. There’s no need for anyone to yield or stop at traffic lights, as I’ve yet to see one since my travels.  The  dense of population of Kampala is well over 5 million people, and I am convinced that at least two million are out and about even on what would be considered to be a slow day: Sunday.
Having traveled to Kampala today with my sister on the University van, my plans were to make my  way to the shopping complex; Cooper Complex, where we had shopped the day prior. I did not inform her of how I would make it to the shopping center. She assumed it would be by taxi, as Boda, Borda maneuvering in Kampala is entirely different than in rural Bugema. Lets just say that the probability of an incident/accident increases exponentially while in Kampala. To my surprise, one of the University Secretaries suggested I ride the Boda, Boda, since it would be easier to move about the city, with the density of automobiles. So, I bit the bullet, and hoped on.  Then I realized that I was holding on for dear life, as my backpack was now pulling in a backwards lean, as Ivan, my driver, weeved through town. His English was sufficient for the task, but he did manage to muster this one question quite clearly “Is this your first time riding a Boda, Boda?”  I could only wonder what made him ask that of me. Was it the  tight hold that I had on his shoulders? Or was it me squeezing of my legs, as to secure my seat? Perhaps it was him looking in his rear view mirror and noticing that my eyes were closed for most of the ride.  To my credit, the city is quite dusty and the road fumes can be a bit much at times. Well, I made it to the market in one piece,  and to my sisters surprise, I managed to find my way back to Bugema University, the Kampala Campus, without incident, where she was anxiously waiting. When I told her how I traveled, her jaw dropped and I can see the “OH DEAR GOD!” look on her face.  What she does not know, is that I sang a silent prayer along the way. One of which was  “Jesus, Saviour, Pilot Me” and “Jesus Take The Wheel” I purposely avoided singing “Nearer My God To Thee”.  True to form, God took the wheel and delivered us all safely. 

Today was an experience that is impossible to forget.  Live, while you live!  Now that's DA Art of Living!

~Simply Lady Dana

June 2014 (C)


No comments:

Post a Comment